home-based cookie baking

Do I need insurance if I bake cookies and sell them from home?

The answer is yes.  It does not matter that you don’t have a physical office.  It does not matter that you may already have homeowners or renters insurance covering your property.  You need liability protection for various scenarios where your business could be on the receiving end of a lawsuit.  It could include everything from a customer getting sick to someone’s checking account or credit card information being compromised after you took a payment.  Additionally, if you ever want to expand your customer base and sell at a bake sale, swap meet, social event or to do any type of catering, you are probably going to be asked to provide Evidence of Insurance.  Instead of scrambling to get a policy at the last minute, it is probably a good idea to buy it upfront.

Costs for home-based baking businesses are often minimal.  They could be under $300 per year, possibly more depending on the size and scale of the operation.  In Arizona, the best next step is to call Allstate at 480-595-7434 or enter your information on the quote form at AZBusinessInsurance.com.  This will give you a really good idea of what the cost will be and you can pick and choose whatever additional coverages you need.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *